Blogs started out as places for people to post their thoughts on life, the universe and everything. They still do so, but I'm pretty sure that facebook has done it's best to shove the minutia of everyone's life in our face. So what are blogs used for these days? I use mine as a host for my book reviews, and I know that the site for the Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Association is constructed in Wordpress, but what else is out there?Well there are lots of blogging communities. They range from BlogHer (a women-only community) to MMO Social Network (where people share tips about making money). But according to Ink Rebels there are five types of blog:
1. Collaboration blogs: As the title suggests, this is one blog with a lot of authors. From what I can tell it's basically the same as a community blog.
2. How-to/tutorial blogs: I found these very useful because you can look at the comments to see if the tutorial is correct or worthwhile.
3. Travel/cultural blogs: These are full of people writing about their travel experiences. Because you can include pictures and videos from holidays, they're a lot more flexible than post cards. Plus other people can comment on their experiences of the same place and recommend it (or warn about it) to others.
4. Fashion/lifestyle blogs: Pretty much what the title says.
5. Personal blogs, which I've already talked about.
I already write for the collaborative blog A Writer Goes On A Journey, so I think that if I was forced at gunpoint to choose another blog to write I'd pick the community one because it feels like it would have more of a the direct connection with people than the other blog types do.
Image source: Blogging cloud
Image source: Blogging cloud
No comments:
Post a Comment